"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Who Wrote the Book of Love

Unfortunately, I am SOOO very behind on blog posting.  I realize it's only been a week since I last posted, but I have not posted any exciting life updates in a LONG time!  I have no excuse!  Other then I just haven't had time.  And while I don't have great amounts of time now, I do want to update y'all on some of the life happenings.  A few things, I'm probably not going to post all of them as Blog updates on Facebook.  So if you want to know our news, you'll have to either remember to come visit the blog or sign up for the nifty email reminders that are on the right side.  I don't get a list of people that have signed up, so if you want to sign up and not let me know about it, go right ahead!  I have no clue who signs up, and if Google tells me, I have no clue how to find out.  So sign up if it's easier for you.  I'm just giving you fair warning that the self promoting on Facebook is coming to a close unless there are many protesters in the comment section on here (to which I might reconsider) or I have a really neat craft that I want to showcase.  So check back often, sign up to be a follower, bookmark the blog, or sign up for email notifications!  You don't want to miss out on our May recapped in June!

So to start off, I'm going to tell y'all about the most recent thing that happened in the Adams household. However, be sure to note, I am going to go back and RECAP the month of May.  On May 26th, my sister-in-law Danielle Adams graduated from High School.  Cue Pomp and Circumstance as you view these photos!

Danielle's big day was held in the evening at Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis.  And since my husband and I never get dressed up anymore or remember to take a photo, we made sure to do it before the festivities started!


Collierville has a coat of arms.  I don't think Brandon had that!


Here they come.  Danielle was number 4 to walk in.  Since the three before her were guys, she was the first girl.  How intimidating!


Danielle about to walk on the stage.  They graduated 420 students in 55 minutes.  Start to finish.  Mississippi State should take note!


I gave up on getting a photo of her walking across.  So I just took a photo of the screen.  She's shaking someone's hand here.  I'm sure they are important.


And again shaking someone's hand.  All smiles! :)


YAY!  You did it!


And I couldn't be happier to announce that there will be another Adams headed to Starkville in the fall.  David likes to tell people there has been one at MSU since fall 2004...in other words exactly how long I've been at MSU!  Haha!  He's actually referring to himself, his brother, and now Danielle.  Pretty cool to think about the fact that from 2004 to approx 2015, an Adams sibling will have been at MSU.  I think only the Wiley's can come close to that!  Couldn't be more excited to share such a rich tradition with Danielle!  Since David and I gave her a cowbell last August before she "officially" decided to come to MSU, we will take all most some of the credit for her decision. :)

I want to share with y'all a special present we gave to Danielle in honor of her graduation.  Now, I will admit that a lot of the time I showcase projects on here so that you guys can ooh and ahh over them.  It makes me feel like I have a little talent and like I'm not crazy for thinking it's beautiful.  HOWEVER, and this is a big However.  However, that is not the case with this project I intend to share with you.  We gave Danielle this as a reminder of how much she is loved.  And I hope that you will recreate it for someone you love, whether they are graduating or going on to a new chapter in their life.  And for those of you who don't think you can make it, allow me to share a little about how I first came up with this idea.

When I graduated from high school, my wonderful mom decided to put together a book of letters for me.  She asked my dad to write a letter to all of the people who had been a part of my life in some shape, form, or fashion.  Now, I'm not dissing my mom when I say this, but my mom couldn't make an elaborate scrapbook if you paid her a million bucks to do it.  And she knows it.  And she'll admit it to anyone that asks.  However, she put together my most favorite scrapbook that I have ever had in my possession.  And that includes the ones I have made and love.  The reason?  Because it was full of letters that told me how special I was.  They told me funny memories.  And they reminded me to stand strong in my faith and in what I believed.  My parents gave it to me as a 18th birthday present.  I think an "Oh thanks mom and dad" came out of my mouth that day.  It was only as a homesick freshman in college when this letter book came to mean more to me.  However, I will admit that when we moved to Memphis and unpacked this book, I sat down and reread some of the letters.  There are letters from friends, Sunday School teachers, family friends, little kids I mentored, old bosses, family members, now living and deceased people, etc.  As the years have gone on, I know exactly which letter to turn to depending on what I'm feeling.  Fear. Anxiety. Lost. Alone. Like I don't matter. When I need a laugh.  And those are just to name a few.

So I proposed the idea to David to do the same for Danielle.  He loved it (or at least he pretended to).  So off to work I went.  Let me pause and say that this book NEVER would have been possible without the help of my mother in law, who singlehandedly came up with the list of people to send the letter to.  There is no way on earth I would have known everyone that should write a letter.  And a graduation book was born.  Since you can't see it, I took some pictures for you.

This is the opening page.  Isn't my sis-in-law beautiful?  You can click on it to make the photo bigger:


The next page describing what the book is (again, click photo to make bigger):


Next to the previous page. This is the letter we sent friends and family (click to make bigger):


Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess:



And here are some examples of the pages that I put together.  Because I wouldn't really care for you to read all of my letters, I made it where you can't make these pictures bigger.  You can click on them, but it won't make them bigger.  This is just to give you an idea.  From her mama:


Her Senior Softball letter from her parents on Senior Night:


Friend Letters:



Coach Letter:


Friend letters:


Family Friend letters:



Youth Minister:


Sunday School Teacher:


Friends:


David's Letter:


And finally, my letter:


These of course are just some selections.  There were many more letters in the book.  If you are reading this and you a) know Danielle b) forgot to write a letter, please feel free to send it to her.  I left her some extra page protectors to add some if people gave her letters at the last minute.  I know she'd love to have your letter.

I hope I gave you an idea to make for someone.  You definitely don't have to add photos or cute paper.  Just ask my mom!  I mean it when I say it is the most amazing gift I've ever gotten, and I could care less what it looks like!  It's the words and thoughts that matter.

To Danielle:  Your brother and I are so proud of you and the decisions you've made!  You're the only one who hasn't been featured on the blog, and it was high time to tell about the amazing young lady you are. We've told you this a bazillion times, and I'm certain you'll hear it a million more, but we are jealous of you.  We're jealous of the new adventures you're about to embark on.  How we wish it was us in your place first setting foot on campus as a freshman!  We love you and can't wait to see how God uses you on campus to make His name known!  We're cheering for you!


Congrats to all of the graduates everywhere!

1 comment: