"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Captain Rodney's


I have a secret I want to share. I've been alluding to this post for a little while now.  There is this incredible sauce that makes this incredible dip, and apparently most people don't know about it.  See picture below:


This stuff is called Captain Rodney's Boucan Glaze.  I did a little research on it:

"'THE GLAZE' to use with the Captain's CHEESEBAKE RECIPE. Centuries ago in the Caribbean, pirates developed a method of preserving wild boar for their long sea voyages, seasoning the meat with French wines and indigineous spices, while cooking it slowly over a pimento (allspice) wood fire. The result was a delicious meat that was called boucan by the French. These pirates became known as boucan-eers, or as we know them today, Buccaneers. The Captain has bottled these spices in a glaze that can be used as a sweet and spicy finishing or dipping sauce great with chicken, pork or beef- even vegetables."
And just so I don't get in trouble for plagiarism, this came from here

Now, I don't know who Captain Rodney is, but when David and I went on our honeymoon we stayed at "Rodney Bay."  We got bored one day and went on a hike of Pigeon Island that used to be used as a military fort frequently.  Basically, the strip of land we stayed on now connects Pigeon Island to St. Lucia.  Captain Rodney loved Pigeon Island.  And therefore, Rodney Bay was named after him.  When David and I heard this, we wondered aloud to each other..."I wonder if that's the same Captain Rodney?"  I mean really, how many Captain Rodney's could there be?  This is a pretty picture of Rodney Bay.  We're atop the fort (or what's left of it) at Pigeon Island. You can see our resort with the red roofs.  And in the distance is the island of St. Lucia. Though I guess now all of it is St. Lucia:

Anyway, back to Captain Rodney's cheesebake.  When I was making food this weekend for our tailgate, I decided we didn't have enough for all of the people we had invited.  So, I turned to this trusty recipe because we love it so much and generally have all of the ingredients in our pantry.  Apparently while I was off tailgating elsewhere--or as David refers to my tailgate style--"socializing"--all of the people at our tailgate where trying to figure out who made the dip.  So I told them I'd share the recipe.  And aren't you glad, I'm sharing it with you too! :)

Ingredients:
8 oz cream cheese (softened)
1/2 cup mayo (I use Blue Plate because it's the best)
2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 green onions finely chopped (except I usually leave those out)
6 Ritz crackers crushed
8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup Captain Rodneys sauce

Directions:
Mix cream cheese and mayo until smooth. Sometimes I use a whisk. Add cheddar and stir till incorporated. Add green onions.  Smooth mixture into baking pan.  Top with crushed Ritz.  Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  Take it out. It will look gooey and bubbly on the outside, but not necessarily in the middle.  Trust me, it's probably done.  Pull it out and add bacon.  Now for the secret ingredient.....Drizzle Rodney's sauce over it.  Serve with chips, crackers, whatever you want.  We use these.... and they are our personal favorite!


This is what you get when your finished....or rather before everyone devours it!


I dropped this off at 10:45am on Saturday and when I got there at 1:00pm, it was all gone.  Now I know that is two hours, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't take near that long for it to disappear!

It's wonderful. It's heaven. But you don't have to take my word for it. Hunt this stuff down and make some.  It's like between $10 and $12.  A few places I've found it: Mak B & Company in Starkville, Traditions in Brandon, Viking in Greenwood (but I'm sure it's at Renaissance too), and I've heard that World Market carries it.  If you know of anywhere else, leave it in the comments because I'm pretty sure everyone reading this wants to try it! :)

 I'll leave y'all with this cute thing!  This is what his night has been like.  Oh the life!  What I wouldn't give to have my days and evenings full of this!  That being said, I'm glad I'm not a cat because you wouldn't be reading about the Adams' Adventures if I was! (for those of y'all who didn't read the last post--we're housesitting...he's not ours!)


2 comments:

  1. Mc.Dades in Jackson carries it. And... Yes. This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't even know if you are still blogging, but... I <3 this sauce.. My brother introduced us to it a few years ago and it's now my standard Birthday Gift.. He never has to guess what to get me.. i have put it on everything from seafood, to chicken, to steak, to pork chops, to pound cake.. it's delicious.. i don't like it on sweet potatoes though... :)

    ReplyDelete