"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Thursday, December 16, 2010

Top Ten Things I'll Miss

Well...all our bags are packed, we're ready to go.  The Trailer will be loaded in the morning and we'll leave our Starkville home behind for Memphis.  It seems like yesterday we found out we were moving, and now it's actually reality.  I'm trying not to be sad because I know we'll be back Monday, and then many more times over the holiday season.  Then again in January.  It's really not like we're leaving it behind.  We'll be back frequently. I just don't know when yet.

While driving through Starkville today, I came up with a bunch of things I'll really miss when we move.  Wanted to share them all with you.  If you've ever lived in Starkville, I hope this brings back memories.  If not, you probably won't know half of what I'm talking about.  These are in no order.

Top Ten
1. Our church


CrossPoint has really been a huge part of our lives.  They have taught us so much in our walks with Christ and our relationship together.  We are REALLY going to miss the people!  I could have picked from a TON of photos of the people there, but I chose our pastor.  He has done so much for David and I in the past few years, but his biggest task was marriage counseling and officiating our wedding.  He signed our marriage license too!  We're so thankful for all of these things.  It is going to be difficult to find a new church in Memphis!

2.  Date nights at the Lovings


Okay, let's be honest.  It's more of a date night for them than for us, but David and I have a blast every time we get to keep these four kiddos!  You've read about them lots of times on our blog.  They truly are so so so much fun!  Matt is the youth and college minister at our church, and we've gotten especially close to their family.  Apparently Ava, the red headed girl, announced to her someone that they no longer had a baby sitter anymore "because David and Sara and Mary Holland (another youth worker that has babysat for them) are moving away."  I don't know if she knows what that means, but I hope that Matt and Jenny will let us baby sit for them again on random nights that we are in Starkville.  I can't bear the thought of never getting to keep them parent-free ever again! 

3.  Our youth at both churches


To my Crosspoint youth:  I have been involved helping with the youth at Crosspoint for 3 1/2 years, and I'm really going to miss them all.  They are such a fun bunch and I feel like I'm saying goodbye to you all before I've "raised you" all the way up.  You've been a joy to my heart, and I will never forget everything that you have taught me. You've challenged me in my faith, and I can only hope I've challenged you in yours!  See y'all at D-Now. Senior High girls....get ready to kick the Jr. High girls bootay in the Color War!  We need to pick our colors!

To our Woodland Baptist Church youth:  I'm sorry, I don't have a group picture of y'all. We took one last night, but I haven't put it up yet.  Even though our time has been short, I hope and pray that you can say the same is true above about David and I for you guys.  We will ALWAYS remember the impact you (and your families) had on us.  So excited to see what God has in store for y'all next!

4.  Seeing my parents every weekend



Lame-O, I know!  But I'm really going to miss my parents coming to town all of the time!  I know that when we are in Starkville, the odds of them being here are pretty good, but it's been so easy to see my parents whenever I want to when they are in town.  I'm going to miss them when we have to stay in Memphis.  However, my mom did promise they'd come visit.  She also added they might get a hotel room because they didn't know if they could handle the one bathroom deal. 

5.  Strangebrew coffee



 MMMMMmmmmmm.  If you've never tried it, you don't know what I'm talking about.  I fully intend on going to buy a BIG bag of Blueberry Cobbler beans before we move so I can use them in my new coffee pot and grinder.  Notice I say I because, while David loves the smell, he can't stand to drink it.  ONE DAY, I'm going to break him of this terrible habit of not drinking coffee.  One day....

Strangebrew, I will feel like I'm cheating on you every time I drink Starbucks!  However, I'll get my fill every time I come to Starkville.  Until we meet again.....next week! :)

6.  This place---Dudy Noble for the non-baseball fans (gasp):



I pretty much could spend any afternoon or night here.  I'm so used to going whenever I want to. It's going to be a change to only go when we're in town.  I love being able to go sit at the game and work on homework to pass the time.  Yes, I've been that nerd who brought my laptop to the game to work on homework.  BUT in my defense, I was a Diamond Girl, and I had to stay there from 2 hours before game time until the last out was recorded.  So, I had a good excuse.  I miss being on the field, but I also really enjoy coming and going when I want to.  I'm truly going to miss the luxury of living in the same town as Dudy Noble.  It holds so many wonderful memories! 

7.  Hearing Cowbells ring randomly everywhere you go



You may recognize the above from this post.  It's my cowbell that I've had practically since birth.  And I love it.  And (gasp) it's not coming with us.  Chill, we'll have our bride and groom cowbells from our wedding, but as of right now, I want my bell to live at the State House in Starkville.  That's my parent's house in Starkville.  I'm going to miss hearing cowbells sound outside whenever MSU is playing and doing well.  After the Egg Bowl, we rang our bells outside to celebrate.  About a minute later, we heard bells ringing back.  While that's fine in Starkville, I'm not sure it's going to fly in Memphis.  My mom informed me that Memphis had a lot of Ole Miss fans the other day.  Dear Santa...make them disappear before I get there!  K...thanks! :)  Just kidding.  But you can bet, OUR house will have maroon and cowbells (though not our "originals").  Maybe someone should buy me the GTHTSUN maroon t-shirt at the Lodge.  That's all it says on it...seriously.

8. The Veranda Blueplate


If you live in Starkville and you've never had this, drop every thing you're doing and go get you a plate.  For $8, down home cooking can be yours!  I. Love. Veranda. Blue. Plate.  I used to live behind the Veranda, and we would go all of the time!  It was just too easy to walk to!  Plus, we had to turn in to get to our apartments so it was hard to pass up whatever the sign said and go eat a turkey sandwich.  I still remember the days Kate and I would go walking and have to resist the urge to stop in and get whatever dessert was listed on the board.  It was tempting to justify the calories because we had just exercised.  I'll miss the Veranda almost as much as I miss Kate.

9. The Chi Omega house


I know I don't live there anymore, but it will always hold a bunch of special memories for me.  From standing on those stairs 6 1/2 years ago meeting my best friends and bridesmaids to many, many, many late nights of laughter!  Those walls, bricks, steps, columns heard it alllll.  I'll never forget "Bennie and the Jets," watching my friend through the window late one night, community showers, messy rooms, late night talks with Anna, sleepovers in Meg Fly's room, chapter, many rush events and long selection nights, trying to figure out how to get a car in the living room with Natalie, porch swinging with Bethany, Rent marathon during finals, man...the list could go on and on.  Sometimes I find myself driving by just to see it.  Yes, the faces have changed. So has the exterior.  I miss seeing Rachel Iupe's car parked in the President spot and Mama Jones reminding us to push the button to exit.  Yes, it's different.  But driving by reminds me of all those fond memories.  I know I'll always have them, but there's something about riding by that just floods my brain.  I'm going to miss being able to do it whenever I miss my friends.  Reunion soon!  

10. My best friend Bethany




 

No seriously, she's my best friend! For some reason, God saw fit to put us back in the same place for a temporary time.  I have to say this will be the MOST bittersweet part of leaving Starkville.  I move on Friday and she moves right after Christmas.  Bethany came home in May to be at my wedding and help with things that needed to be done before.  And for some reason, God was silent to both of us on where to go this semester.  It was so weird and yet fun having her in Starkville for the semester.  It's like God was saying, "you are best friends, I have you going through the same thing at the same time, lean on one another."  We weren't inseparable like we were in college.  We both had things we had to do, and honestly, I feel like God took her 12 hours away so that I would learn to depend on Him and not her.  However, there are just times you need your best friend.  I would think...man, I really need Bethany...oh wait!  She lives down the street! (well not literally, but closer than 12 hours!)  And off we'd go.  To the bookstore, to Strangebrew, to Freds or Dollar Tree.  Anything to get my mind off of what Satan was telling me.  And strangely, I did the same for her.  I'm so thankful God never allowed us to have a pity party at the same time!  Can you imagine how miserable that would have been.  Bethany continues to be my encourager.  I'm so thankful for the extra time we had in the same place.  I'm not sure that we'll ever have it this way again, but it will make for sweeter and sweeter visits every time we get to see one another.  I am so going to miss my friend.  I'm pretty sure, though there have been no tears yet, leaving Bethany will be the source of many.  I'm so thankful for such a wonderful friend who knows me inside and out!

Well, with that I guess I bid you adieu from Starkville.  It's been a wonderful 6 1/2 years, and I'm going to miss it dearly, BUT I know that God has exciting things in store for us.  I also know I'll be back frequently.  Next time I write, I guess we'll be in Memphis. Don't worry, I plan to keep the blog updated!  I won't forget about you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment