"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy Father's Day {Three Weeks Late}

Yes, three weeks late.  You see, last year, David and I got married on Father's Day weekend.  It was always a joke the entire wedding planning process that I was giving my Dad a GREAT Father's Day present.  I meant that he would have to give me away which I imagine quite hard for a Dad.  He did, however, get the present of a son-in-law and as many people joked, he got the bill from the wedding.  All in all, it probably wasn't the best Father's Day weekend for him.

So of course, our first anniversary fell on Father's Day weekend this year.  And since we wanted to celebrate in Memphis, we celebrated Father's Day the week before in Jackson.  We had a great time, but on Monday, I got a phone call from my silly Daddy that said, "Sara, I got to work yesterday, and you're never going to believe this, but Father's Day is NEXT weekend! So we'll have to celebrate all over again!"  Silly Daddy

Even though I missed Father's Day because I was recapping our wedding day, I did want to take a post and devote it to Dear Old Dad.  But make no mistake!  He's not old!

This is the man who from the time I was born was my hero.  He was the king in my castle and my knight in shining armor.


We did lots of things together!  Including running and strolling. He says I was the best running partner he has ever had.


Dad liked to dress us both up in funny outfits!  This is from one of our Mardi Gras parades that we held in our house.  We dressed up, and I got in my little wagon.  He pulled me around the house while I threw Mardi Gras beads.  I obviously had no idea what was going on.  But it taught me a love for Mardi Gras forever!


My Dad is one of the most creative people I know, and as a little kid, I would go along with any of his ideas.  Dad liked to make our answering machine at home say funny things.  In fact, people would call just to listen to what funny antics he came up with on the answering machine.  I know one time we hunted the Great Turkey or something like that.  We literally had a recording on our answering machine around Thanksgiving that was 2 minutes long that said we couldn't answer the phone because we were hunting the turkey.  I remember running around the house and banging pots and pans to get the turkey!  I wish I could remember more of our hilarious answering machine messages.  One time I know he recorded it with the Looney Toons jingle in the background.  You know, that tune they play at the end?  Refresh your memory below.  So when the answering machine picked up, it was us talking with that in the background. 


Then there were lots of fun MSU Memories as well.  If MSU was playing, you can bet we were watching it, listening to it, or going.  This is from the Cotton Bowl parade when I was in or around 6th grade maybe?


And when I tell you that my Dad is the KING of concerts, he really is!  You pretty much can say {or rather, could say when you were on the Herrington family payroll}, "Dad, I want to go to ___________ concert," and if it was possible, feasible, and realistic, he'd make it happen.  He gave me a love for ALL kinds of music!

One of my favorite memories with my Dad was when he took me to see Journey on Mud Island in Memphis.  I had been after him to go see Journey for awhile.  They were only touring in Hawaii, and while I saw no problem with heading to Hawaii, Dad didn't think it would be a good idea to leave Mom and Daniel behind.  So when they announced the Mud Island concert, we were there!

Follow me along on this schedule:

Thursday: David asks Dad if he can marry me.
Saturday: Dad and I leave for Memphis to Journey.
Sunday: Dad and I come home from Memphis.
Monday: I go back to Starkville.
Tuesday: David proposes.

It was the perfect Daddy/Daughter trip!  And we had a blast.  Here are two photos from our trip.



I love my Daddy so much!  He's the best Dad around, and while David is now my knight in shining armor, my Dad is and will always be my Dad.  There are just no words to describe the relationship between a father and daughter!  And I just realized we're wearing the same clothes in the above and below photos.  WEIRD!



The best part about Father's Day now is that I have two Dads!  Enjoy the {few} photos I have of David and his Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment