"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Everlasting Love

While I was busy blogging a few weeks ago and reminiscing of our June 19, 2010 wedding day, June 19, 2011 was actually occurring.  Which means that I have been married to THIS man for a year {plus a few weeks now}


Isn't he so handsome?  And in case you missed the recap {and I'm honestly not sure how you did unless you've been in a foreign country or living under a rock for the past month}, you can click on The Wedding at the top of this page {under the cute photos of my hubby and I} and relive the day with me!


Even though this is a few weeks late, I still wanted to let you know what David and I did to celebrate our first wedding anniversary!  It was such a fun, laid back day, and I loved spending every minute of it with my hubby. 

First, we decided to wake up and go to brunch at Brother Junipers in Memphis.  David found this place one night when he went to pick up pizza.  He mentioned something about it to a friend, and they gave it rave reviews.  So we figured we'd try out the "Best Breakfast in Memphis."


Those of you that know me know that I researched the heck out of this place!  I mean, I didn't want something like country breakfast.  I wanted something that was to die for!  The day after our wedding, David and I woke up in Birmingham to the most amazing breakfast anyone could ever fathom.  We stayed at Ross Bridge, and they have a buffet breakfast at Brocks, the restaurant inside of the hotel.  It looked so good, but I had not eaten very much in the two weeks before the wedding so I didn't think it would be a good idea for me to spend $25 on a buffet that I might nibble at.  David got it, and I got pancakes.  And I've regretted it ever since!  Haha!

So after much research about Brother Junipers, we decided to give it a shot.

When we pulled  up around 9:30am, and the parking lot was full, I took that as a good sign.

When we walked up, and there were people waiting outside, I took that as a good sign.

When there were a ton of college kids in Nike shorts/tshirts who looked like they had just rolled out of bed, I took that as a good sign.

When we got to the counter and the lady told us it was going to be a 45 minute wait, I was disheartened, but I took that as a good sign!

When they said they would TEXT MESSAGE me when our table was ready, I took that as a REALLY good sign!

We hung out in the courtyard with all of the really pretty flowers.  And it wouldn't be like me if I didn't snap a few photos.





Then finally, after approximately 45 minutes, we were seated.  We had already looked at the menu and attempted to decide on what we wanted.  I got a Cafe Au Lait as soon as we set down.  Yummy!  Organic Fair Trade coffee too!


Then it was time to order.  Since it was our anniversary, and because of the story I just told you above about not getting the Brock's buffet, I decided to go big.  Even if I couldn't eat it all, it was still our anniversary!

David ordered the Hungry Tiger Open faced Omelet below.  Toppings included the following: a Bed of Home Fries Topped with Bacon, Ham, Sausage, Tomatoes, Green Onions, Feta, Cheddar Cheese, Mozzarella, & Swiss Chesse.


I ordered the San Diegan which is also known as "Rachel Ray's Favorite."  Apparently Rachel Ray knows about Brother Juniper's.  It had a bed of Sour Cream & Home Fries Topped with Portobellos, Tomatoes, Bacon, Green Onions, Feta, & Cheddar Cheese


Um...seriously? It was delish!  Just look at how high it was!


Of course you can see from the photos that it came with a fluffy biscuit, preserves, AND the most AMAZING cheese grits you'll ever eat in your life!  I'm for real!  Up until now, my favorite cheese grits were from the Original Oyster House in Mobile or Orange Beach, AL.  Not anymore! 

Our breakfast was amazing, and though we haven't eaten anywhere else for breakfast in Memphis, I can assure you, they really are the best!  Get the cheese grits!  They won't disappoint!  We can't wait to take anyone and everyone that visits us to Brother Juniper's.  Yummy!

Pardon our sweaty selves below.  We had waited outside for 45 minutes, remember?


We hung out after breakfast around Memphis.  David showed me what the Pink Palace was, and while we didn't go in, we intend to sometime soon {and when we do, I'll blog about it}.   We went to the grocery store to pick up what we needed for dinner and just had an all around lazy day!

Then it was back to the house.  We decided that since we were going to the beach to celebrate our one year anniversary a couple of weeks later, rather then go out to eat for dinner, we would cook steaks at home. 


While David waited on the charcoal to get hot, I began my kitchen adventure.  A year ago, we froze our wedding cake.  I had every intention of getting it out the week we got home and eating it, but I forgot.  So after I realized it had been two months, and at that point, it just seemed better to leave it for a year rather than try to get it out and eat it.  The only problem was, the photo below shows how wonderfully it was wrapped.


Yeah.  Not so appetizing.  Well, lazy me never went back and re-wrapped it. And so it set, for 12 months in a freezer wrapped in nothing but saran wrap.  But none the less, we were prepared to eat it!  However, I had a backup plan.  I had asked a bakery in Memphis to make a chocolate peanut butter cake for us.  Only one problem, I needed to add Reese's to the top of it to make it authentic.



If you've never been here, and you live in Memphis, you should go.  It is incredible! YUMMY!


We were dog sitting for some friends of ours and he was so much help while I was in the kitchen working on the Reese's


At least he was interested though. My dog could have cared less!


David grilled up some of the most incredible steaks I've ever tasted!  And please pardon his outfit. It was HOTT in Memphis that weekend.  My hubby doesn't hang out in cutoff work out shirts all of the time!


I made him pose! :)


We had a wonderful romantic dinner just the two of us!


And then it was time for cake! :)




Which one looks more appetizing to you?  Haha! 

My Mom bought me crystal cake servers the other day, and so we decided to use them to cut our cakes.



We sliced into it together...


And pulled out a slice.


Surprisingly, it was not bad.  I wasn't a fan of the outside icing, but the inside icing was GREAT.  The cake was still super moist, and I'm glad we kept the tradition.  However, I will say that I think the trick to it is defrosting it in the fridge for 24 hours and not just taking it out and setting it on the counter. 

Why yes, I researched that too!  After all, it was only wrapped in saran wrap!


After the slice of the white cake, it was time to dig in to our yummy recreation of the groom's cake.  Oh my gosh!  So good!


Not as good as the original, but still good!


I snuggled up with my hubby for the best movie we could choose to watch!  Yep, that would be our wonderful wedding video!


And we timed it.  And it took an hour and 4 minutes.  Yep.

As far as gifts, David and I didn't want to get each other extravagant gifts because our trip to the beach was our gift to each other.  However, the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to be able to have something tangible that we gave each other.  The traditional wedding present to give each other is paper.  So after MUCH thought and brainstorming, we decided to frame the poem that David wrote me the night he proposed.  While it's not the original paper and hand writing {I wanted that one for my scrapbook}, it's the original words that he wrote framed with one of our engagement photos on the Drill Field which happens to be where he read me this poem.





I apologize for all of the reflections in the photos above, but you get the idea.  It was already hanging in the hallway at our house, and there isn't a ton of light in that spot. 

Another gift we decided to give each other is a scrapbook where we write down what we did to celebrate our anniversary and include photos of our anniversary. A friend of ours suggested a journal because you start to forget what you did on your anniversary.  I don't ever want to forget, so I thought this might be a good way to remember.  It will allow for us to put photos from our anniversary beach trip in there as well as write what we did.  Of course, in true Sara fashion, I've yet to start on said scrapbook, but I intend to soon.  It's just a few pages and will be an ongoing scrapbook that we add to yearly.  I'm sure some years will have more in there then others, but I want to be able to look back at all of our anniversaries and remember what we were doing and what was going on!  And technically, this is paper too!

Finally, I decided I wanted to get David something that we could add to and continue to get for each other every year.  Since both of our families like playing games, I decided this would be a fun tradition to start!  So to commemorate our first anniversary and add to our non existent game collection, we bought our favorite game EVER!

I seriously have been playing Apples to Apples since I was in the 6th grade and love it!  Only problem is, we need some friends to come over and play it! :)  I'm taking suggestions for next year's game already!

I was visiting with one of my friends the day before our anniversary and told her about my game idea.  I said, "You know, that way when we have grandkids one day, they can have lots of games to choose from to play when they come to our house in 40 years!"  Her response made me almost fall out on the floor laughing.  She said, "Yeah, and you can explain to them what a board game is then!"

So if they quit making board games between now and when David and I die, I'm not sure what we'll replace our yearly anniversary present with, but for now, we'll stick with it!

I know I keep saying this, but I cannot believe it's been a year of marriage!  We've had so much fun, and I can't wait for many, many, MANY more years with David!  He is such a blessing to me, and I love him so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment