"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Easy as Key Lime Pie

Since I'm always asking for recipes, I thought I'd share one with y'all.  The other night we had dinner with Alex and Chelsea McIntosh.  We usually alternate houses and making the meal.  Although it's been awhile since they've been to ours since we've housesat most of last month.  Because of that, they've been to other people's houses to hang out with us.  When Chelsea told me we were having Mexican, I decided to make a dessert that sort of went along with dinner.  Mom told me the other weekend when I wanted to make pumpkin dessert with the enchiladas she was making that she thought only chocolate and citrus desserts went with Mexican.  So, for tonight, I decided on Key Lime Pie. 

My mom has the best recipe, and if you know my mom, the recipe has to be easy and quick.  Can't be hard unless it's reeeeaaaalllllllly worth it!  Here's the recipe for the quick, easy, and delish key lime pie.


Key Lime Pie
Ingredients:
1 graham cracker pie crust
1 6 oz. Limeade juice concentrate (frozen, not thawed)
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whipping cream
lime zest
Directions:
Mix limeade, cream, and condensed milk with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Pour in graham cracker crust. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.  Garnish with zest of lime.
Now for my notes....

*Make sure, double sure, triple sure that you only use 6 oz. of juice concentrate. It usually comes in the 12 oz cans in the frozen food section.  So either double the recipe, find the smaller can, or save the extra for later.  Whatever you do, DON'T put 12 oz in your mix.  My mom did this once, and David and my Dad termed it "Key Lime soup."
*Mine never makes soft peaks. I beat it for at least five minutes.  Just go ahead and whip for a long time. Then just pour it in the pie crust. If you refrigerate it for awhile, it should get stiff enough to slice and not run.
*I serve with whip cream because everything is better with whipped cream! :)

This seriously takes like 10 minutes to throw together.  Easy as Key Lime Pie!  Enjoy!

I also went shopping yesterday and since I enjoy couponing so very much, I thought I'd share my finds with you!  I usually take all of my coupons and just do a coupon run. In other words, I didn't buy your staples like milk, eggs, meat, veggies, fruits when I do my big savings run.  When you look at these, don't think we don't eat healthy or live on cereal.  I cook, and David would be fine living on cereal! Haha...kidding!  Mostly.  Just needed to use some coupons before they expired.  Also, there is salad and some apples. And three Cliff bars that weren't pictured.  Probably because my husband and I split one right when I got home. Don't know why the other two didn't make it in.

Not that all of you care, but I wanted you to SEE what we got for our pantry. Any guesses on how much I spent? Guess away!  See this way you HAVE to comment! :)




1 comment:

  1. I may have an even easier recipe for Key Lime Pie. Two cans of sweetened condensed milk, two egg yolks, 3/4 of a cup of key lime juice (check the Piggly Wiggly...Wal-Mart in Starkville doesn't have Nelly and Joe's Key Lime Juice) and whatever kinda crust you want. Blend yolks and juice thoroughly with sweetened condensed milk, pour in crust. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350 degrees (help pie set). Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

    Rock and roll and enjoy the pie.

    I'm gonna have to try your version sometime as well, though. Sounds awesome...well, anything involving heavy whipping cream is awesome.

    ReplyDelete