"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Sunday, November 28, 2010

Duck Hunting Mornings

Whew! What a fun first married Thanksgiving we've had!

Although, by the time we got home Friday night, David and I decided we didn't want to drive anywhere for a llllloooonnnngggg time! Three different places in three days will do that to you!

We kicked off our Thanksgiving break on Monday when we arrived in Collierville just in time to see David's younger sister, Danielle, play in her basketball game. She is so good and very fun to watch! The Dragons went into overtime to beat Brighton, and Danielle had a lot to do with the win. I think she said she scored 12 points, but y'all know me...I'm not very good when it comes to basketball knowledge or attention! But even I know that she is really good!  Mrs. Patti bought us season passes, so we'll be coming to a bunch of her games next year.

Tuesday morning began with David waking up extra early! That's right, I had my first experience with a husband and duck hunting season. He suggested a couple of weeks ago that I try going. I quickly informed him that if I went I would yell at the top of my lungs, "FLY AWAY LITTLE DUCKIES! FLY AWAY! DID YOU GET THAT? FFFFLLLLLYYYYY AWWWWWAAAAYYYYY! FAR, FAR, FAR AWAY!!!" I wish you could have heard David say, "yeah, I don't think that will fly with John Adams." So needless to say, I was not included on this early morning drive to Arkansas. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with you or your loved ones (or my loved ones for that matter) going into the woods to shoot at animals--as long as they aren't dogs or cats. In fact, I'd prefer every American man who so desires move to Mississippi and kill at least 2 deer per day. I know, I know there's a hunting limit. But WHO CARES!! You kill it or it jumps through my windshield. Thanks, but I'll take the first! Annyyyway. My husband awoke on the dot at 2:45am. TWO FORTY FIVE AM!!! I rolled over and groaned. He turned the bathroom light on. I rolled over again and groaned louder. He shut the door to brush his teeth. I decided against groaning since it would be futile because the water running was louder than I could be. He opened the door to put on hunting clothes. He went down stairs. He came back upstairs. He went down stairs. He came back upstairs. He went down stairs AGAIN. He came back upstairs AGAIN. He went down stairs AGAIN!!! He came back upstairs AGAIN!!!

I informed him when he got home that he could sleep with his brother Jesse that night. His mom informed Mr. John that he could sleep with Jesse as well.

I relented. But here comes the worst part. At approximately 3:00am, my loving husband attempted to tell me goodbye. Clearly, I am not coherent in the wee hours of the morning and I groaned, moaned, and waved him to go away. Not like a "goodbye honey wave." More of a, "if you don't go away, I'm going to get the gun after you instead of you getting it after ducks." I am not a morning person!

THEN...he leaned in to kiss me! I rolled over.

I don't think I'm a good duck hunter's wife.

However, the next morning when he awoke at TWO FORTY FIVE AM, I heard him get out of bed.  I rolled over, and then I slept till 8am. GLORIOUS! My sweet hubby and I are learning how to adjust to duck hunting mornings!

Oh yeah, and what did I do while he was in "the pit," calling ducks, getting stuck, and tearing a hole in his waders? I, of course, was shopping. my. heart. out!

I realized after he'd been home from hunting an hour that I should ask if they shot anything. You have to understand, my dad and brother don't hunt. My grandfather hunts squirrels and that doesn't count as hunting to me. No one was ever there to tell me about hunting in the wee hours of the morning or to ask your handsome beau how many ducks he killed--all while batting your eyes of course! Luckily, he forgave me and took the opportunity to name the types of ducks he shot. (???) I nodded. And smiled.

All in all, we had a great time in Memphis. Duck hunting gave me an excuse to Christmas shop. Although I mostly just found things I wanted for our house.

Oh yeah, if you missed it, you should read this post: Put On My Blue Suede Shoes

I also attempted to find our house with David's GPS and was successful!  I don't know HOW I'm going to find my way around Memphis if Santa doesn't bring me one of those.  I will not wind up in the bad part of town. I will not wind up in the bad part of town.  I will not! 
After a wonderful feast with David's family, grandparents, aunts, and cousins on Thursday, we traveled back to Starkville so that I could help my mom cook for our family feast on Friday in Quitman with all of my uncles, cousins, aunt, and grandparents.  On the way home from Memphis though, I was thinking about everything that I'm thankful for.  A new husband, a home, hubby's new job, etc.  Too many blessings to name.  We had agreed that I would drive so David could nap.   While driving, I have a bad habit of plugging in my cell phone and listening to Pandora riding down the road.  Bad habit because when the cell bill comes at the end of the month, mom likes to inform me of how many data minutes I had just in case I neglected to look at the bill when I paid my half.  Upwards of 1,000,000.  Of course my brother Daniel laughed at her when she said, "I don't think there are 1,000,000 minutes in a month" because it's not calculated by minute. It's calculated by MB, KB, one of those bites or bytes....I don't know!  Did I mention the fact that we have an unlimited data plan?  I'll listen to Pandora on my phone when I'm driving whenever I want, thank you!  This song came on that I had never heard.  And prepare yourself it's from last year. I'm behind, I know.  And it didn't click who sang it until I looked it up on YouTube just a second ago.

The song is called "Live Like We're Dying" by Kris Allen.  Yes, the American Idol. From Conway, AR.  Where I used to live.  I know. I really should have heard of it by now!  If you haven't heard it, take a minute to play the video.  Hopefully I didn't goof up on how you put it on a blog, and it will work.
 


How very true is that song?  David was awake, so I paused it and made him listen to it too.  We both agreed that it was a great song.  Especially for Thanksgiving!  We've only been given so long to live.  We should be living like we're dying.  So to all of you reading, I just want you to know that David and I are thankful for you.  I'm not sure why you keep coming back to read, but obviously if you are, you have a vested interest in us.  I hope that means that you're taking what you read on the blog and joining with us in prayer for what God intends to do with our lives.  We may have more direction since we first started this blog on where we're headed, but we still are constantly seeking His will--and will be forever.  So keep praying for us. 

Hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving!  Thank you to all of the people who sent messages on Facebook about the new job and move to Memphis.  We'll be watching for all of the people you've suggested we meet!

And now that it's officially Christmastime, I'm kicking it off with a cup of hot cocoa and Christmas tunes.  My CD of choice right now is Chris Tomlin's Christmas CD. It's amazing if you haven't heard it!  This is my favorite song on it (and it's not even Chris Tomlin--it's Christy Nockels of Watermark...who wrote three of the songs that we played in our wedding...that lasted an hour and three minutes....no I'm not kidding...but of course I still don't have a video of it to prove it to you).  Anyway, listen here:



Also, David and I are enjoying peppermint ice cream since it's a Christmasy food.  I hope you've heard of that.  I never had until two Christmases ago.  David's Grandmother introduced it to me. (I wish she could read the blog).  Apparently Kroger has it in Kroger brand ice cream right after Thanksgiving as a limited edition.  Go to Kroger and buy some now! It's worth not having any coupons for.  

On second thought, scratch that last paragraph!  David and I are almost out and I need to go buy about four more cartons of it before you go to the Starkville Kroger to buy any.

But seriously, it's 2 for $5 right now. 

No wait, go buy yours on Wednesday.  That will give me plenty of time to buy enough for us! 

Hope you have a wonderful start to your Christmas season without peppermint ice cream. Don't worry, I'll eat enough for us both as my bowl is almost empty!

No comments:

Post a Comment