"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chi Omega Yours Forever

Wow...what an eventful week it has been in the Adams family!  After a few days without power (more to come on that one later), I have found myself slipping further and further behind.  One area that has fallen victim to this is the blog!  I have about 5 posts needing to be written, and yet, I have none done.  So please forgive me.  The next five posts should have been written weeks ago, but I am going to try to catch you all up on our lives in different blog posts.  Because let's be honest, no one has time to read a fifteen page blog post...especially when it is authored by yours truly!

Since my last blog post, there was a reunion of sorts that occurred!  Chi Omega celebrated their 75th anniversary at Mississippi State University!  That's kind of a big deal.  When I found out about the party that would take place the weekend of April 2nd, I immediately began planning a reunion of sorts for my pledge class.  What originated with my friend Brittany as a fun way to see everyone, quickly turned into an owl party of sorts. 

Brittany pretending to be an owl

This party all started with some cute invitations that I made.  I, of course, blurred out important details that I didn't want to share with the world on here, but you can get the gist from these pictures.  Thank you to my wonderful hubby for writing the super cute poem for our invites.



The paper underneath the velum.


We showed up Friday night to put together our decorations and bake food for the party.  I'm so sad that I can't make these photos go in the order that I would like, but formatting is so difficult on blogger.  So you'll have to bear with me.

Super cute oreo cupcakes.  Recipe can be found here.  Of course, I took the easy way out and just used a box mix and icing.


I had this fabulous idea to create an owl tree of sorts.  I wanted it to look super springy in our home for the party.  So we gathered some branches and hung owls all over.  It turned out as a neat centerpiece. {more photos of it to follow}



The Chi Omega Symphony



Our picture/clothespin wall. 



Owl Peeps!  I found this idea online as well.  They turned out super cute.  I had bought a bunch of heart shaped peeps at valentines day so it worked out well.  Love My Peeps Pops.


We had to have an owl cheeseball.  I used just a basic cheese ball recipe, added sliced cucumber and squash for the eyes, the "neck" of the squash for the nose, and slivered almonds for the feathers.  I used this photo of a cake to get my ideas rolling. But I thought we had too many sweet things already, so I deferred the idea to a cheese ball instead of a cake.


Brittany made these OHHH so cute owl s'mores which can be found here.  I'm not sure if you can see the nametags for the food or not, but they are made out of the same paper as the invitation and include a stamped on red owl.  These we titled, "Makin' S'more Owl Memories"


Chi Omega's colors are Cardinal and Straw, so we chose a red and yellow theme for our drinks.  We made lemonade and fruit punch with strawberries and lemons. And if you are a frequent reader of the blog, you can see Captain Rodney's in the background.  It had not made it to the table at this point, but had already been eaten.  It did eventually make it to the table!


Owls in the tree:




You are likely to see most of these again when Christmastime rolls around and I put up photos of our Christmas tree(s).




My friend Megan of Happy Bakes made the CUTEST mini owl cupcakes.  You can read her blog post about the weekend o' fun here.


Yes, Brittany wore red and yellow.  I promised I wouldn't make fun of her on the blog! :)  So I'm not!


So, so glad y'all got to join us!


Meg wore red and yellow too, but we really should have expected this! In fact, I bet Brittany that she would!



This little guy is PRECIOUS!  He is one of the girl's sons. {It's a tad weird to me that some of my friends have kids...am I old enough for that?}


His family is moving back to Starkville {lucky kid!} and you can read his mommy's blog here.


Seriously so cute! He loved the cowbells in the background.  His dad would say, "where are the cowbells?" and he would point to them.


Now after we had so much fun catching up and hanging out, we were due to be on campus in the Union.  They had a big program planned.  I'm not one to love sitting in a planned program for 2 hours.  Yes, TWO hours.  Honestly, I was most excited about seeing my friends and having some of them spend the night afterward.  But I have to hand it to Chi Omega.  The program was AMAZING!  It was so enjoyable and entertaining.  From the pictures of the Chi Omega house being built to the rush skits that the actives did from years past--it was like a time machine took us back through the 75 years of Phi Delta Chi Omegas.  I had so much fun laughing at stories and rush skits.  It made me miss living in the Chi Omega house.  There were lots of people to see and meet and reconnect with. 

Some of the only actives left that I know!  Love you both!

Beautiful flowers from the tables.  {I love tulips}

This is the lady responsible for getting me to go Chi Omega.  Love her!  Love that they said "Chi Omega is Inter-generational Friendships." So, so, so true!

 A rush skit from back in the day.  It was the Sound of Chi O, based off of the Sound of Music.  I think it was from 1945. 


My little sis and past president. 

After an eventful afternoon on campus, my group headed back to my house to spend the night.  We had fun staying up late and remembering "the good old days."  Haha.  We told funny stories, talked about weddings that are coming up, and even acted like high school girls again at some points in the night.  I'm so glad that God blessed me with such incredible friendships!  The entire weekend was based off of our Symphony.  It is one of the most special things that I think Chi Omega has, and I hope I will always have it displayed in my house.  Not only is it important for a Chi Omegas college years, but I think it it something that she takes with her throughout her lifetime.

To live constantly above snobbery of word or deed;
to place scholarship before social obligations and character before appearances;
to be, in the best sense, democratic rather than 'exclusive', and lovable rather than 'popular';
to work earnestly, to speak kindly, to act sincerely, to choose thoughtfully that course which occasion and conscience demand;
to be womanly always; to be discouraged never;
in a word, to be loyal under any and all circumstances to my Fraternity and her highest teachings and to have her welfare ever at heart that she may be a symphony of high purpose and helpfulness in which there is no discordant note.
Ethel Switzer Howard, Xi Chapter
1904

And lastly, you knew that Lacey was in attendance at the Chi O weekend.  So she had to have an accessory.  Her red and yellow bow was perfect.  However, about three seconds after these photos were taken, she used her paw to pull it out.  Needless to say, Lacey is not a big fan of bows!



4 comments:

  1. Blown away by all of your owl treats...that's some serious talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed these owl treats are amazing! I may have to steal several ideas for a bridal shower coming up!!!! (the bride loves owls)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always you are such a great party planner and host. The weekend was such great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute party! Glad my post was able to provide some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete