"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Thursday, August 5, 2010

Pickwick Vacation

I just realized I'm doing a bad job of updating our blog! It's harder then it looks! We haven't really had any terribly exciting adventures and I cannot remember to take my camera with me ANYWHERE so of course we don't get any pictures. Blog posts without pictures just don't seem right!

Luckily, I did come away with a few pictures from this past weekend. David and I traveled to Pickwick, TN for his family's annual vacation with another family. The men spend their mornings golfing and the women lay by the pool, read, and relax. Then the afternoons are spent on the boat with skiing and tubing for everyone except not-so-brave me. I love riding on the boat, just not risking my life with water sports! We left on Saturday to meet the guys for a morning of golf. The women usually come later on Saturday, but since we were coming from Starkville I came along early. That meant killing four hours in Corinth and meeting the boys for lunch later. I could have gone golfing, yes, but WHO would want to be out in the 125 degree heat? Seriously now! Y'all know me better than that!

And so began my four hour journey of Corinth! I went to Belk and killed an hour. It was tax free weekend and David and I had already ordered him some clothes from Belk online the day before. You cannot find this man's size ANYWHERE except online! That's what I get for marrying a 6 ft 5 inch guy! :) So I truly killed time in Belk! Nothing that I really needed. Although since David's and my deal is that I get a pair of shoes when he plays golf, I did buy a $10 pair of shoes. What can I say? I love shoes! And yes mom, you'll be glad to know that I threw away a pair! Just for you! I walked around downtown and went into the cute shops in Corinth. I like window shopping! Then I went to Books-A-Million and decided I needed to get a book to read on this trip. With it being so gosh dang hot out, the girls spent most of our mornings in the air conditioner! Glad I found the perfect book....The Help. If you haven't read it, get it! It is by FAR my favorite book I've read since the Twilight series! It's set in Jackson, MS and a lot about civil rights in MS. I read all 446 pages in 3.5 days. I couldn't put it down (except to go out on the boat of course). And because I love posts with pictures, this is what it looks like:


After Books-a-million came Wal-Mart, followed by Cellular South. And because I know you don't want to know all of the details of those two trips, I'll just say I bought cereal and had my cell phone upgraded to Android 2.1.

On to Pickwick....

We spent a lot of time relaxing (and reading). And eating! It will take forever for David and I to work off all of the calories we took in this weekend, but it was well worth it. We visited the Adams' and Bailey's favorite restaurant The Catfish Hotel on Sunday night. David's dad has been eating there since he was a kid coming with his family growing up. And we wore our bright red t-shirts Mrs. Patti had made. The two families were celebrating 20 years of coming to Pickwick. I'm sad that I didn't get a picture of the backs of the tshirt, and I guess I could go grab mine out of the dirty clothes pile that I'm working my way through, but I'm pretty sure it's in the washing machine now. The back had a bunch of words that were unique and special to the trip. I'd post them, but you probably wouldn't understand! (I don't know what some of them are since I've only been going the past 3 years). The Catfish Hotel was on there though and all of the waitresses at the restaurant thought that was really neat!

David and I at Catfish Hotel


David's Brother Jesse


David's Mom and Dad
Us with Pickwick in the Background

Not only where there t-shirts, but some funny videos from way back when. It is always fun to see David when he was a little kid growing up! The stories these two families have on him (and his siblings) on this trip are priceless. We can't wait to go back next year!

We ended the vacation with a birthday party for David's sister Danielle. She turned 17 on Tuesday, and we all went to a Mexican restaurant at Pickwick to celebrate! After dinner, we had cake and the nice Mexican waiters brought out the sombrero and fried tortilla with cinnamon and sugar (don't know what it's called). They sang happy birthday and of course put the whipped cream in her face. David and I gave her a cowbell since we're pretty sure she'll be headed this way next August for college. One can never be sure, but we weren't trying to sway her decision at all! (SSSUUUURRRREEE!) I still remember when I got my cowbell. I'm pretty sure I was three and it was from my grandparents. Needless to say, I still ring it. It got retired a few years ago because I was worried about sneaking it in. It will be back this fall! Can't wait to see how many old school cowbells come out just because no one will try to take them. Wonder if my parents will bring in their really cool ones from their college days? And just because I feel like this post needs more pictures, I'll leave you with this:

30 days till football season! WOO HOO!


And now it's time to get back to work...my lunch "break" is over! David and I still don't have definite plans for now to update you on. We're still in Starkville, for now. Would love it if you come and visit us! And would for sure appreciate your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment