"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tasty Tuesday {Hawiian Porkchops}

I don't like Porkchops.  I'm not a big fan of the pig.  I DO eat sausage, bacon, and bar-b-q, but I'm not a pork tenderloin/porkchop girl.  But, David's mom gave us some awesome pork chops around Christmas to stock our freezer.  They were Omaha Steak brand.  So I knew I needed something that would make them taste good!  

When we got married, my mom challenged me to try a new recipe every week, which I haven't really done because I don't like straying from what I know how to cook.  I've mentioned this before, but when I was in the 8th or 9th grade, I typed all of my mom's recipes on the computer, printed them out, and stuck them in clear protective sheets and put them in a three ring binder.  I didn't know it then, but I really was making myself a present!  When I moved out of the Chi O house in 2008 and needed to be able to cook, my mom and I drove to Office Depot and pulled every sheet out, one by one, and made copies.  Unfortunately, while my mom's "bible" of recipes survived, the original hard drive they were on did not.  So for like an hour, we pulled recipes out, copied, put back in.  It. Was. A. Pain.  But SOOO worth it.  I now have my own recipe binder of all of my mom's recipes.  I. Love. It.  Of course, she says it makes it really hard to have a "staple" to cook when we come home because odds are, I've cooked it for David recently!  She actually calls to see what I've cooked lately before she sees us so she can plan her menus accordingly!  I love having and knowing how to cook all of my mom's recipes.  I literally can think about how I've watched her do something, and do it.  

That is the reason I am not ecstatic about trying new recipes.  What if they are bad?

Well, in January, I decided it was time to find a new recipe for porkchops.  Both to satisfy my Mom and to utilize the free {amazing} cut of meat we had been given.  So I broke out the Southern Generations cookbook from the Starkville Junior Auxiliary.  I found a Hawaiian Porkchop recipe that looked good and simple. Plus, I had a lot of the ingredients in my pantry.  It was SO good!  I wanted to share the recipe with y'all then, but I had forgotten to take pictures--mainly because I didn't know if it would be good.  David and I both agreed that whenever porkchops were on sale, I could make this recipe.  

Well, porkchops were on sale last week.  So I made this wonderful recipe and took photos.  I hope y'all enjoy it as much as we do! 

First of all, make sure you remember to go grab your camera to take photos.  I am so bad at this!  

Throw four porkchops in a pan.  I used boneless.  Brown them on both sides until the outside edges aren't pink anymore.  I didn't have to drain mine.  I guess because I was using a good piece of meat?



While those are browning, start the sauce that they will cook in.  First you'll need one can of beef broth.  Pour it in a medium size bowl and continue.


Next, add 1/4 cup of ketchup.  I love ketchup. Yum.


Add in a tablespoon of white vinegar. 


Open a can of pineapple chunks. The recipe calls for pineapple tidbits, but I used what was in my pantry.  Pineapple is pineapple.  Don't forget how wonderful it is when Google Blogs rotates photos so they are the wrong way.


Now, the recipe calls for 1/2 a cup, but I always wind up putting more than that in there.  I love pineapple!  I put approximately 1 cup in this recipe. Maybe 1/2 a cup is appropriate for pineapple tidbits.


I also usually slip in a little bit of the juice just for good measure.  Even though it's not listed in the recipe.



Next, dump in 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Hopefully your brown sugar didn't look like mine. It tasted fine, but it was all stuck together.  Even the box is beaten up.  We're not very nice to our pantry items at my house.  The August heat must have gotten to it.  If this happens to you, measure as close to a tablespoon as possible. 



 The last thing that needs to be prepared are the green bell peppers.  You'll need approximately 1/4 cup of these. 


Wash your pepper, and cut it up into pieces.  You want to make sure you remove the seeds from the inside of the bell pepper before doing the next step.  Slice up the bell pepper.


Then throw it in your nifty chopper that is super quick. I've mentioned it on here before, but I love mine! 


Easy as one, two, three!


Add that to all of the sauce you've prepared.


Then pour it into you skillet with your porkchops.


Cover and simmer on low for 45 minutes.  You just leave it and forget about it!

After 45 minutes, take a tablespoon of cornstarch and mix with 2 tablespoons of water.  Stir it up REALLY good!


Then pour it in your porkchop/sauce mixture.  The cornstarch will act as a thickener and make it yummy!


And now my computer is being silly and won't upload the final picture!  Maybe it will tomorrow!  The recipe says to serve this dish with rice, but I hate rice so I chose to serve it with wild rice.  And it is SO good with the sauce!

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as this non-porkchop lover loves it!

Hawaiian Porkchops

4 Porkchops (approx 1 lb)
1 can beef broth
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water


Brown and drain porkchops in a skillet.  Add all ingredients to pan except cornstarch and water.  Simmer covered for 45 minutes.  Stir cornstarch into water and add to sauce to thicken.  Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment