"Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." -Winnie the Pooh


Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Arts Festival

Because I've been seriously slacking on the blog, I thought I'd update y'all on some fun things that have occurred in the past couple of weeks.

My very favorite Starkville event occurred the weekend of Easter.  For those of you who thought I was going to say Super Bulldog Weekend, you'd be wrong.  While that ranks second, the Cotton District Arts Festival takes first place!  Let me start by saying, if you've never been, go.  It's the weekend of April 20th (ish) next year.  And it actually coincides with SBW next year. How convenient.

Anyway, I had been BEGGING to go.  So David and I agreed that I would go down early and get some work done, enjoy the arts festivities, and then come home Saturday evening.  Then, since it was Easter, we'd spend Easter Sunday lunch with his family.  So on Thursday, I headed off to Starkville.  And Saturday held the joys of Art.

You see, this festival not only brings your normal bird house makers, pottery designers, and food vendors.  Oh it's so much more than that!  It brings with it hundreds of fairly Starkville local artists and all of their creativity!  I was so excited to hear that there were so many vendors this year that they had to turn people away! Insane!  Yet exciting.  I'm pretty sure that the architecture, graphic design, and art students all got the memo that fair priced, amazingly designed items sell super quick.  Because in the past three years, the arts festival has increased dramatically in the number of students selling their work.

There were a few vendors that I have purchased from before as well as a variety of new ones I was ecstatic about seeing.

Molly Gee of MollyGee Designs was there.  I'm not sure if I've shared this on the blog or not, but Molly Gee was a sorority sister of mine.  She graduated from MSU and creates the neatest headpieces.  We recruited Molly Gee to make me a one-of-a-kind headpiece for our wedding reception.  You see, I wore the veil that my Mom wore in her wedding 30 years ago.  However, 30 years ago, it was cool to wear the veil on a hat type thing.  I always referred to it as the Jewish Yamaka because that is what it looked like.  Sandra Ashford, the lady who redid the veil and added to my dress from my Mom's lace, would always correct me, but I can't remember what she called it.  Anyway, Sandra Ashford removed that hat, and Molly Gee cut it up and made a vintage veil headpiece.  Veil:



Reception Veil:



Kate of Little Things Studio was also there. I met Kate at the Starkville Holiday Bazaar.  She is a sorority sister of mine's biological sister.  Her stuff is super creative and currently in our unfinished refinished spare bedroom.  One day I promise to show you how I've used it.  Until then, you'll have to browse around her website and Etsy shop.  And if you don't know what Etsy is, and you're a girl...go find out.  Thank you Jenny Loving for introducing me to it!  A little taste of her prints, and what is to come in the unfinished refinished spare room (I love calling it that...perhaps URSR should be abbreviation....that sounds like USSR. I'll stick with unfinished refinished spare room). LOVE this:


I also knew my friend Barbara was going to be showcasing her talents. She started Merci a couple months after I met her last year. It's always been a dream of hers, and I'm so excited to see what God has in store for her talents. She makes jewelry from recycled things, and sells her photos of Germany which she visits often.  I actually own 2 Barbara P prints.  One is in the unfinished refinished spare room.  I'll give you a peak:


Surprisingly, I didn't buy from those three artists mentioned above.  Probably because I know how to get in touch with all three, and could easily get what I wanted!

However, I do want to share with you my purchases for the day. Mainly because I thought you'd enjoy them, and I think it's important to buy local.

First up, Painted by Holly: Gasp...Holly is from...Oxford.  But she is SO talented, it doesn't matter!  She does watercolor paintings, and I love her stuff.  I'd seen her before, but you know me and my owl obsession? Well Holly was selling owls.  Please check out this amazing magnet and painting...both of owls!  Holly and I are working on another project as well.  If it comes to be, I will share with you. However, you might have to wait until June 19th.



Next up, is my K.Raye owl. (yes, another owl).  You all also know I love K.Raye pottery.  So excited to see what she had created to sell as well. Well, my mom saw this cute owl, and seeing as how it was almost my birthday Arts Festival weekend, she bought it for me. Not sure where she is going to go in our home, but I love her!


And finally, the most beautiful Bulldog print I've ever seen.  The original was bought last year by the Sandersons.  Yes, those Sandersons.  Sanderson Chicken. Sanderson Center (workout facility at MSU). Those Sandersons.  My mom would have commissioned him to take it back from the Sandersons and let her buy it for more, but he wouldn't.  The worst part about the Bulldog print?  I have NO CLUE what the guys name is.  So if this is your friends print, please tell me. I'll alter my blog post.  All I know is that he is an architecture student at MSU.  As I told him, I cannot wait to see the buildings he designs. Have to get this one custom framed soon!



That wraps up my Arts Festival Weekend.  Mom gave herself rocking chairs for the cabin from the Easter bunny.  They are FAB-U-LOUS!  We came back from the arts festival and sat on the porch and rocked.  Then it was time for me to drive back and celebrate Easter with my hubby.  Wonderful weekend!

I share all of these with you and went to the trouble of linking all of the photos so that you can buy local as well!  Many of these people are easily accessible if you want to purchase something they have done!  Hope you find time to make it to next year's Cotton District Arts Festival. It WON'T disappoint!

2 comments:

  1. Saw this today on etsy and thought of how much you like owls: http://www.etsy.com/listing/58975260/ceramic-tiki-owl-planter-vintage-design

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the arts festival! I hate that I didn't get to go this year :(
    Thanks for sharing your finds!!! Love the bulldog print! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete